Current:Home > InvestU.N. warns Gaza blockade could force it to sharply cut relief operations as bombings rise -Capitatum
U.N. warns Gaza blockade could force it to sharply cut relief operations as bombings rise
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:49:58
RAFAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — The U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees warned Wednesday that without immediate deliveries of fuel it will soon have to sharply cut back relief operations across the Gaza Strip, which has been blockaded and hit by devastating Israeli airstrikes since Hamas militants launched an attack on Israel more than two weeks ago.
The warning came as hospitals in Gaza struggled to treat masses of wounded with dwindling resources, and health officials in the Hamas-ruled territory said the death toll was soaring as Israeli jets continued striking the territory overnight into Wednesday.
The Israeli military said its strikes had killed militants and destroyed tunnels, command centers, weapons storehouses and other military targets, which it has accused Hamas of hiding among Gaza’s civilian population. Gaza-based militants have been launching unrelenting rocket barrages into Israel since the conflict started.
The Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry said the airstrikes killed at least 704 people between Monday and Tuesday, mostly women and children. The Associated Press could not independently verify the death tolls cited by Hamas, which says it tallies figures from hospital directors.
The death toll was unprecedented in the decades-long Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Even greater loss of life could come when Israel launches an expected ground offensive aimed at crushing Hamas militants.
In Washington, White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told reporters the U.S. could not verify the one-day death toll.
“The Ministry of Health is run by Hamas, and I think that all needs to be factored into anything that they put out publicly.”
Israel said Tuesday it had launched 400 airstrikes over the past day, an increase from the 320 strikes the day before.
The U.N. says about 1.4 million of Gaza’s 2.3 million residents are now internally displaced, with almost 600,000 crowded into U.N. shelters.
Gaza’s residents have been running out of food, water and medicine since Israel sealed off the territory following the attack on southern Israel by Hamas, which is sworn to Israel’s destruction.
In recent days, Israel allowed a small number of trucks filled with aid to come over the border with Egypt but barred deliveries of fuel — needed to power hospital generators — to keep it out of Hamas’ hands.
The U.N. said it had managed to deliver some of the aid in recent days to hospitals treating the wounded. But the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, the largest provider of humanitarian services in Gaza, said it would run out of fuel by Wednesday night.
Officials said they were forced to reduce their operations as they rationed what little fuel they had.
“Without fuel our trucks cannot go around to further places in the strip for distribution,” said Lily Esposito, a spokesperson for the agency. “We will have to make decisions on what activities we keep or not with little fuel.”
Meanwhile, more than half of Gaza’s primary health care facilities, and roughly a third of its hospitals, have stopped functioning, the World Health Organization said.
Overwhelmed hospital staff struggled to triage cases as constant waves of wounded were brought in. The Health Ministry said many wounded are laid on the ground without even simple medical aid and others wait for days for surgeries because there are so many critical cases.
The Health Ministry says more than 5,700 Palestinians have been killed in the war, including some 2,300 minors. The figure includes the disputed toll from an explosion at a hospital last week.
The fighting has killed more than 1,400 people in Israel — mostly civilians slain during the initial Hamas attack, according to the Israeli government. Hamas is also holding some 222 people that it captured and brought back to Gaza.
The conflict threatened to spread across the region, as Israeli airstrikes hit Syrian military sites in the south Wednesday, killing eight soldiers and wounding seven, according to Syria’s state-run SANA news agency.
The Israeli military said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, that its jets had struck Syrian military infrastructure and mortar systems in response to rocket launches from Syria.
Israel has launched several strikes on Syria in recent days, including strikes that put the Damascus and Aleppo airports out of service, in an apparent attempt to prevent arms shipments from Iran to militant groups, including Lebanon’s Hezbollah. Israel has been fighting the Iranian-backed group Hezbollah across the Lebanese border in recent weeks.
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah met Wednesday with top Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad officials in their first reported meeting since the war started. Such a meeting could signal coordination between the groups, as Hezbollah officials warned Israel against launching a ground offensive in Gaza.
Israeli military spokesman Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari said Iran was helping Hamas, with intelligence and by “whipping up incitement against Israel across the world.” He said Iranian proxies were also operating against Israel from Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon.
Fighting also erupted in the West Bank, which has seen a major spike in violence.
Islamic Jihad militants said they fought with Israeli forces in Jenin overnight. The Palestinian Health Ministry in the West Bank said Israel killed three Palestinians in Jenin and two other in other towns, bringing the total number of those killed in the occupied West Bank since Oct. 7 to 101.
Israeli Foreign Minister Eli Cohen told the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday that the proportionate response to the Oct. 7 attack is “a total destruction” of the militants. “It is not only Israel’s right to destroy Hamas. It’s our duty,” he said.
The Israeli military said it thwarted an assault by a group of Hamas underwater divers who tried to infiltrate Israel on a beach just north of Gaza.
Across central and south Gaza, where Israel told civilians to take shelter, there were multiple scenes of rescuers pulling the dead and wounded out of large piles of rubble from collapsed buildings. Graphic photos and video shot by the AP showed rescuers unearthing bodies of children from multiple ruins.
A father knelt on the floor of the Al-Aqsa Hospital in Deir Al-Balah next to the bodies of three dead children cocooned in bloodied sheets. Later at the nearby morgue, workers prayed over 24 dead wrapped in body bags, several of them the size of small children.
Buildings that collapsed on residents killed dozens at a time in several cases, witnesses said. Two families lost 47 members in a leveled home in Rafah, the Health Ministry said.
In Gaza City, at least 19 people were killed when an airstrike hit the house of the Bahloul family, according to survivors, who said dozens more remained buried. The legs of a dead woman and another person, both still half buried, dangled out of the wreckage where workers dug through the dirt, concrete and rebar.
___
Magdy reported from Cairo and Nessman from Jerusalem. Associated Press writers Wafaa Shurafa in Deir al-Balah; Gaza Strip; Aamer Madhani in Washington; Amy Teibel in Jerusalem; and Brian Melley in London contributed to this report.
___
Find more of AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war
veryGood! (1779)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Sister Wives Star Garrison Brown’s Sister Details His Mental Health Struggles
- Wales elects Vaughan Gething, first Black national leader in Europe
- Announcers revealed for NCAA Tournament men's first round
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, March 17, 2024
- Will Messi play with Argentina? No. Hamstring injury keeps star from Philly, LA fans
- Supreme Court wary of restricting government contact with social media platforms in free speech case
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Judge approves new murder charges against man in case of slain Indiana teens
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Trump is making the Jan. 6 attack a cornerstone of his bid for the White House
- Heat-seeking drone saves puppy's life after missing for five days
- Child’s decomposed body found in duffel bag in Philadelphia neighborhood
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- R. Kelly seeks appeals court relief from 30-year prison term
- Ohio Supreme Court primary with 2 Democrats kicks off long campaign over court’s partisan control
- Iowa women's basketball star Caitlin Clark featured in ESPN docuseries airing in May
Recommendation
Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
Rules that helped set real estate agent commissions are changing. Here’s what you need to know
2 men plead guilty to killing wild burros in Southern California’s Mojave Desert
Arsonist sets fire to Florida Jewish center, but police do not believe it was a hate crime
Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
Full transcript of Face the Nation, March 17, 2024
Parents of Michigan school shooting victims say more investigation is needed
Forced sale of TikTok absolutely could happen before Election Day, Rep. Mike Gallagher says